Here's my run of the demo
Nonagon Infinity & The Opening of the Door
A downloadable game for Windows
NEW DEMO OUT NOW!!!
Nonagon Infinity & The Opening Of The Door is a multi-genre game based on King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard's 2016 rock album titled Nonagon Infinity, a collection of nine songs that fade into each other, with the final track on the album seamlessly looping back into the first track, making it possible to listen to the album infinitely with no breaks.
Each level in the game corresponds to an individual song on the album and play as a different genre than the previous. For example, the first level is a platformer, while the second level is a first-person shooter, and so on.
DISCLAIMER: Don't play this if you're sensitive in any way to flashing stuff. That's all.
DEMO 2.0 CHANGELOG:
- Added level 2, Big Fig Wasp
- If your game runs terribly on this section, try setting your particle count to none or enabling particle optimization
- Added level 3, Gamma Knife
- Redid the title screen to include more options + look cooler I guess
- New options:
- Link to Twitter
- Link to the Milkbar Lads Patreon
- Link to the Milkbar Lads Discord server
- Link to King Gizzard's Bandcamp
- Cheat codes
- A lot of new options were added to the settings menu, as well
- Changeable screenshake intensity
- First-person particle optimization (particles will automatically get deleted if your framerate dips below a certain number if this is enabled)
- First-person particle count
- Toggleable shader effects
- Added more control options (no support for gamepads yet, sorry!)
- New options:
- Redid parts of level 1, Robot Stop
- Some parts of the level were made easier
- There are now checkpoints at the start of every room
- There's no indicator for these checkpoints or anything, they're just automatically marked when you enter the room and they're invisible
- Redid almost all the graphics for this level
- Reworked the camera, it's more zoomed in and tracks the player now
- Reworked the entire boss fight. You now must actually beat the boss before the clock runs out instead of just waiting for the clock to hit 0
- Added a proper credits screen
- Fixed a number of bugs. I didn't keep track of them so I can't list them here, sorry
|Published||Mar 30, 2018|
|Tags||8-Bit, ascii, Experimental, Fangame, First-Person, GameMaker, Minimalist, Music, Pixel Art|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Accessibility||Color-blind friendly, Configurable controls, High-contrast|
To run the game:
1. Download the .zip file
2. Extract the folder inside the .zip to anywhere outside the .zip
3. Run the .exe file found inside the folder
4. You should be good to go :)
- New demo coming soon!26 days ago
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
lods of emone spells loads of money, probably.
demo is great btw. I think the timer is a bit too strict on the FPS segment, walking speed is a bti too slow on the Zelda part - and the FPS last part, the final gun doesnt seem to fire correctly. I had to go RIGHT up to enemies to kill em.
YES A NEW DEMO ! YOU JUST MADE MY MORNING! IM PLAYING THIS RIGHT AFTER I TURN MY CAPS LOCK OFF! LD
Hey man loving the game, I'm wondering whether you would be interested in me recording a classic 8-Bit arcade game style version of Nonagon Infinity to use for the soundtrack. I am not asking for any payment all I would ask for is a credit and possible consideration for collaboration on future projects provided you were happy with what I had produced. Anyway let me know if you are interested. keep up the good work man you are 16 and know how to program computer games, you are gonna go far.
Hey, thanks for the offer and kind words! I'd love to take you up on that offer, but I already have another friend working on a chiptune rendition of the songs from Nonagon Infinity. Again, thank you for the offer <3
Will you be releasing level 2 soon?
I plan on releasing level 2 and 3 in the next demo. The next time there's a demo, it'll feature the first (which has now been balanced for difficulty), second, and third levels. I have level 2 done, but it might be a bit before I finish level 3 -- so whenever I polish levels 2 and 3 to a point I deem good, I'll release level 2 and 3, which might be a while.
Whats the status now?
Still working on level 3 :)
It took me about over an hour just to finish that first level. And I still absolutely loved it. Keep it up <3
This is fun and challenging, but I nearly had no time to reach the next checkpoint near the end, and I lost a lot of time because I had to wait for moving platforms to come... But besides that,, this is absolutely fantastic! I love the idea behind it and it's well-made. And the soundtrack makes it even better of course
Really awesome. It's not too hard or too easy just perf
This was not only an amazing game, but it was a bad ass experience. I was hooked and, despite a break or two, couldn't stop until I had beaten it. I thought it was challenging and really hard at times, but I love when a game requires me to go hard, so I feel the difficulty was perfect. Can't wait to see what this game will become.
Absolutely amazing game, but it's way too hardcore. I can't beat it. Nonagon Infinity is one of my favorite musical albums of all time, so I really recommend at least an easier difficulty. If I had to beat Robot Stop to access the other levels, I wouldn't even try. It's way too hard right now. But I'm very interested to see how this improves, I love the idea of "music video games".
I hope to see even more genres like a top down shooter, doom-style fps, endless runner, galaga-type shooter, and etc!
All and all, I love this so much. Please make every new screen a checkpoint and the timing a bit easier like what Temmieneko said. That would help so much. If you want help in any way, I can do audio mixing, video editing, and anything like that!
I fucking love you for making this,do you have a discord or anything by chance?
Vinesauce is playing your game right now ^^
This Game is great but GODAMN i cant muster the patience or calm to beat the first genre-part
Good game, I have two major issues
1) controller support native
2) checkpoints are either too close together, with no challenge between, or staggeringly far apart, like the next-to-last obstacle set. that one gauntlet leading into the boss room took me 45 minutes to complete ( with a smoke break in between to calm my nerves )
other than that, I like this.
and even though this isn't representative of the final product ( i understand each level will be a different game genre)
I am very familiar with " rage platformers " and for this to work, you're gonna need to also adjust oneminor thing - the timing
some obstacles are ridiculously set on a very very specific timing, that ; if you don't reach the area at EXACTLy the moment you need, the whole thing falls apart, or makes you wait for longer than you should.
also, why a timer, the more time you have makes the final boss harder. I don't undersand that final room, it's like you're punished for reaching the final room faster.
remove the timer aspect, and be more forgiving with checkpoints
( perhaps make each new room a checkpoint instead of those awkward flags? that would be perfect. )
editing this out wasa nightmare bc of the strange checkpoint system. ( for my youtube upload )
so yeah, quality of life improvement right there.
i'll take your suggestions into consideration. can you share the youtube upload with me whenever you have it ready? thanks!
Here ya go ^^
I actually used Joy2key so I could play with a controller. And I edited out the huge chunks of repeated failures.
loved it though, good style to it.
Yeah, I agree. Making each new room a checkpoint would be a bit better. I sometimes had problems with moving platforms too: the moment you get there, the platform is already floating away and I lost a lot of time because of that. Other than that, the game is perfect for me. Like you said, some adjustments on timing would make it perfect (the loading screen at the beginning takes quite some time too but it's just a demo version after all)
Love it, realy captures the mood. Add some accesibility though, like more checkpoints and falling platforms reappearring after sometime. It's a bit too hardcore for me. It would be a shame if a fellow gizzhead gets frustrated and quits the game before hearing and playing other songs. I love the checpoints you chosed for songs and the spinning nonagon at restarts.